Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post #6

Blog Post #6


I know only very little about trans-racial adoption from previous classes and I am excited to be having this discussion. After reading the articles assigned for class I have learned many new things about trans-racial adoption, but I also have many new questions.

I began preparation for class by reading the National Association of Black Social Workers’ “Position Statement on Trans-Racial Adoption” which was eye opening for me. The language was strong and passionate, as can be seen by the very first sentence, which states, “The National Association of Black Social Workers has taken a vehement stand against the placement of black children in white homes for any reason” (Bremner, pg. 777). With this passionate language the statement addressed many important concerns in regards to trans-racial adoption, especially given the era.

One issue that was discussed was the reasoning behind trans-racial adoptions during this time period. They stated, “We fully recognize the phenomenon of trans-racial adoption as an expedient for white folk, not as an altruistic humane concern for black children” (Bremner, pg. 778). I had not previously thought about the fact that people were using others as mere means during trans-racial adoptions. I can definitely see how this would be terribly upsetting and why the black community would close off adoption to white parents. What I was slightly surprised at though, was the fact that the National Association of Black Social Workers’ stance on trans-racial adoption has not changed. When I began reading their current stance I thought that some changes may have occurred as our nation has improved in adoption since the 1970’s, but I was incorrect. I find this interesting, yet understandable, seeing as it is important that a child is brought up with experiences of his or her own culture. I look forward to discussing this topic further in class. 

Julie Thurmes

1 comment:

  1. Blog Post Reply #5

    I also was very surprised that the views of the National Association of Black Social Workers did not change in that 30 year time span. Like you, I thought that with all of the changes and improvements that have occurred in that time period, the NABSW would have been more lenient toward and accepting of transracial adoption. I also understand why they hold the view that black children should not be adopted by white families because culture and heritage is so important to who we are as individuals. However, I believe that with all of the resources that are available now and with the changes that have occurred that transracial adoption should be more accepted; especially since there are a multitude of children in foster care who are in need of a stable and permanent home. I don’t believe that they care too much if their family is black, white or purple. I think that what they care most about is that they have a family who loves them unconditionally for exactly who they are. It is still important that they learn about their culture but I believe that they can learn about it from their parents, teachers, friends, etc. – even if they are not the same race.

    Lindsey E.

    ReplyDelete