Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Posting # 6



In my blog for this week, I am going to discuss the article that we read for last class about silent racism.  In this article Trepagnier talks about the presence of racism in our society today and the importance of acknowledging it.  The thing that struck me most and the thing I personally struggle with is silence racism.  Trepagnier says that silent racism is broken up in two forms stereotypical images and paternalistic.  The stereotypical image branch is based on the misinformation about blacks that are prevalent in our society.  Whereas the paternalistic branch stems from superiority that is found in some relationships between whites and black (Trepagnier, pg. 6). 
            In the spirit of being honest as a white person I have been exposed to negative images and thoughts about black people since I have been very young.  I consider myself not racist and have no personal stigmas for races other than my own, but I can’t help but make preconceived judgments about people sometimes that go against how I truly think or my morals.  Trepagnier suggests in her article that ALL white people are racist.  But at the same time who can blame us.  In my opinion, racism is something that is learned and that is exactly what she is suggesting.  It is instilled in the “white” culture to have judgments about others who are not like us. 
            After reading this article I thought about myself, my family, and my generation.  The first thought that I had about this topic was the civil rights movement and in thinking critically about it, it really was not that long ago when it happened.  The mind set of those that lived during that time are still very much alive in even my generation.  Our grandparents were most likely the ones that lived through the segregation era’s, they grew up thinking that whites were better than blacks.  That means our parents inherited and/or were exposed to racism that existed in those times.  Though I do believe our generation and our parents have developed different beliefs on the topic of racism and blacks.  In terms of silent racism, it lives inside of us and we need to know why it is there and make conscious choices to try and avoid making the type of judgments we have been taught to make.      

Lisa R.     

1 comment:

  1. Graded Reply #6
    Lisa,
    I really enjoyed how you broke down the separate constructs found within Trepagnier’s idea of silent racism. While this was discussed in the article it is often better to view the interpretation of someone other than the other on what this means. When I began reading this article and Trepagnier stated that we are all racist in some form or another I got defensive. This was because I don’t see myself as racist because I do not make racist remarks or support those that do; likewise, I do not wish that others are discriminated against and I would follow the movement to make the necessary changes to remove the barriers in society that generate discrimination. As I began to think about how I react when being approached by a person of color or upon entering neighborhoods, stores, or other places where the minority groups frequent, I realized that I was racist; at least in some ways.
    I would agree that it is difficult to part from the stigma that was generated and perpetuated by family, friends and society while growing up. How would it be best to keep in mind the silent racism? Many times reactions occur without our knowledge. These microemotions can affect another before we’ve realized the harm. If we have to consciously focus on making the best non-racial choices when interacting with an individual of a different race, but allow ourselves to relax this in the presence of another Caucasian, then is that also a form of racism? If we are capable of sliding our continuum toward “less racist”, then there would be such a benefit for generations to come. The true question lies within ourselves on how best to slide that scale.

    ReplyDelete