Friday, January 18, 2013

Blog One) Home Study Questionaire

My experience of answering the questions as a prospective parent was interesting and thought provoking. Overall, the right questions were asked to prospective parents because these questions give them in preparation for their adoption. To become a parent is not a simple thing where everyone is naturally a good parent. I think these questions are to let the agency know that they are placing a child with parents that are in good standing and that they have shown the agency that adoption is taken seriously. I think it is great that people can adopt if they fit all the criteria like having a perfect background check, financially capable, and so on. But, what about the parents who want to adopt but, do not meet the standards that the agency looks for in parents? I am sure that even if they take they do not have the financial qualifications or something else that they still do take adoption seriously. Does this mean they cannot adopt? As for the questions, I was only confused and thought this was a weird question: “Any brushes with the law? Please describe” (Home Study, p.3). The question should be more direct and clear in what it is asking the perspective parent. I would add these two questions what do you value in your marriage/ support group? How long have you been married? These questions will help the agency learn about my relationship with my partner. I think that the child's culture would be a major part of how I raise my child. I think that the child's race/ethnic background would be a difficult decision because, in the Hmong community we just do not have many people who adopt in general. If I were in a situation where I adopted a black or Hispanic or not Asian it would be the most uncommon thing and people would judge me for a fact. Even if I still love my child as my own I would have the fear of my child getting teased or not treated the same as any other child. This is something that I would need to prepare myself for in the future and my child's future. 

            I think that my answers will give the agency a good sense that I would be a good parent. I mentioned by career as a high school counselor. I like to be someone who students can trust and turn to when they need help. I gave a good description of myself that I am compassionate, nurturing, caring, Hmong, Christian faith, fun spirited, loving, strong, open-minded, independent, a listener, humorous, trustworthy, and loyal. I value family a lot and my parents would be very supportive in my decision of adopting because of their respect to me and their love of children. I don’t have any brushes with the law and I have not been previously married. I want to adopt because I have friends who have expressed to me how much they desire to have a mother/father figure for themselves. They either have lost a parent due to death or divorce. I think that is what is most important that every child would want a parent to love them. I am thinking of the children and what I can do for them. I am a person who is very family oriented and I love children. It would break my heart if I were to find out that I could not have children of my own. Therefore, to be able to adopt or that there are birth mothers who are brave and willing to go through this process is an enormous blessing for me. It would change my life to be able to adopt a child and the child would mean the world to me.

            My last reflections on this home study questionnaire, is that it is a very meaningful and useful process for prospective parents. I don’t want to say that adoptive parents are more careful or that they love their adopted child more than non-adoptive parents do to their children but, that they go through a different longer and harder process to have a child. Which may influence how serious and willing they are to adopt. Some times non-adoptive parents do not think about these questions. These questions are very standard and simple to learn and know about the prospective parents. If I were to really adopt a child I would need to make sure I was mentally, spiritually, economically, emotionally, and physically prepared in making this big commitment. Life is about chances. 

-Ka L.

3 comments:

  1. Blog Reply #1:

    As I was reading this post, I had to stop and think about the implications of other cultures adopting from other cultures. I think that you brought up a topic that most of us in this class may not think about in regards to adoption. But, would be very high on your list of priorities in regards to how your culture views adoption. Being raised in a central Minnesota, I was exposed to minimal amounts of diversity and the thought of a “white” person adopting a person from a different race or background doesn’t seem that abnormal. Therefore, it is quite intriguing to me that you being from the Hmong culture have so much more to think about when it comes to adoption.
    First of all, that fact that adoption itself would put you in a minority within your culture made me ask to myself, what does a family within the Hmong culture do if they are unable to have children? As a nursing major we were all required to take a class for our cultural selective on the Hmong culture. I remember that family within this culture was viewed as very important and the ability to pass on the family legacy was important as well. However, I guess we never talked about what a couple did if they were unable to conceive a child of their own and were never able to pass on certain important aspects about their family.
    Lastly, in regards to all of the above, I think you brought up a great point about adoption. I personally view it as something people do if they really want children and they can’t or prefer this process over others. But, the talk of culture shines a whole new light on the subject as a whole and makes me wonder how many cultures have the same concerns and ideas that you do.

    Lisa R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,

      Thank you for your reply. The Hmong family legacy is very important and that is the reason why most people will try to have a child the traditional way. From what I know and have heard from others is that they will try to find Hmong medicine that will help you some how conceive a child. I do not know too much about this but, I think this pertains more to the Hmong elders. Usually, I hear stories about women trying to find a solution for this by taking the Hmong medicine but, I have not heard much about Hmong males taking the medicine. For the modern Hmong people I think they may be willing to consider adopting. Otherwise, there are some cases where it is hard for both genders if one or the other is the cause of not being able to conceive a child. Some couples if it is the women who cannot bear a child then the men will result to marrying a second wife. Again this pertains to the Hmong elders. Some women are fine with the men marrying a second wife but, not for all women.
      -Ka L.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to add this to the graded reply above.

    I don’t know many Hmong couples who have adopted but, I know of one couple who did adopt a Hmong girl. Also, very interesting I heard of a Hmong medicine/ pill that cost 1,000 dollars. They say that if the woman takes the pill she will become pregnant. If so, she must pay the amount but, if the woman does not get pregnant that she would not have to pay the price for the pill. These are just stories I have heard. I hope this helps answer your question.
    -Ka L.

    ReplyDelete