Thursday, January 17, 2013

Blog Post #1

Blog Post #1 Home Study Questionnaire


As a prospective parent who is thinking about adoption, the questionnaire that was being provided from the Children’s Home Society and Family Services was a lot to intake at once. As I look at the questions some of them were personal and the others pertain to what I do or have for a living. The questions that I feel that were right to ask were the ones where they want to know more about me such as job, hobbies, spouse, decisions, etc. The question that I thought they should take out or worded differently was “Do you use alcohol or drugs?” (Home study,  pg. 5) because it seems puzzling. I mean the question that regard to the use of alcohol is not clear. I mean having wine during dinner or drinking beer during a football game does that fall under the use of alcohol? The question should be re-worded to how often you consume an alcoholic beverage? The other question that should be taken out is “What are your major assets and liabilities?” (Home study, pg. 5) because do they need to know how wealthy I need to be. I know money plays a major role but is this necessary because what if I do not have any assets would it lower my chance to adopt a child.
I have to admit that there were a lot of questions and I was feeling stress and a bit frustrated. If I was to take the questions seriously it might take my whole evening because I want to make a good impression. In addition, the answers that I provided would give the agency a good idea of who I am as a prospective parent. I think I would be a good candidate because I answer the questions truthfully and provided concrete examples to elaborate most of my answers.  
Overall, I think the questions was a way to evaluate me as a parent and how much time and effort I am willing to put into the adoption process and if I can handle the stress/frustration. From babysitting my niece and nephew, it was hard work but yet manageable. Also, the questions would give the agency a sense on how I would care and nurture my child.

Chia C.

1 comment:

  1. Chia-Good point about the alcohol questions. I was also very puzzled by it and can see where you are coming from. I found the home study to be stressful as well, especially if I were actually a prospective adoptive parent.

    Kristen B.

    ReplyDelete