Monday, February 25, 2013

Blog #4 option 2

Blog #4 Option 2


Personally, before taking this course on ethics & adoption I have no clue what adoption is all about. Better yet, I was even more clueless on gay adoption. I am not sure why I have not come across adoption topics during my school years before college, maybe it is a touchy subject? Our guest speaker, Phil Duran provided the class with a lot of information regarding adoptions for gays and lesbians over the past many decades. It was interesting to hear him talked about how adoptions were changed for gays and lesbians base on different states statues.

There are many things that I am still confused about with adoptions in general, but the more confusing thing I find is between homosexual and heterosexual adoptions. From what I learned in class is that a single straight male or female can adopt a child if he or she meets all the criteria for adoption and that heterosexual couples can adopt a child even though they are not marry. But what is the difference between a single homosexual adopting or a homosexual couples adopting? Even though some States are becoming more aware of this issue, homosexuals are still limited when it come to adoption.

            Even if gay and lesbian couples were capable of adoption they are still facing other issues as well. I mean if they are allowed to adopt then why do they lack rights as a parent in regard to their child? Not all states guaranteed a same-sex couples adoption decree. What the decree is that “guarantees that the parents will be treated as parents for all legal purposes including custody, the authority to enroll the child in school, participate in health-care decision-making…” (Appell, pg. 50). So my ethical question that I have is if homosexual couples are capable to adopt then why do they need an adoption decree to gets those rights or authority over their child? I think that once someone adopts regardless of their status, they should be capable of making all those decisions within the adoption decree.
Chia C.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment