Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blog Post # 5: Option #3



In this blog post, I am supposed to talk about which method of adoption I agree with most.  The truth is that I am on the fence a little bit after our guest speakers.  If I was asked this question a week ago I would have 100% agreed that open adoption is the route to go in the adoption process.  The problem with that now is that I don’t know if I can pick one side or the other.  Mary said something on Wednesday that was kind of eye opening to me in terms of open adoption, she stated that open adoption seems to have an effect that makes the birthparents feel better about their decision, not on the child’s overall best interest.   I think that she made a very valid point when she said this.  In an open adoption there is always some hope somewhere in the birthparents hearts that they may somehow, someway be a part of that child’s life.  Though some birthparents expectations of the end result are much lower or higher than others; I could imagine that there is some sense of relief that you will someday be able to reach out to your child or to knowing that they will most likely know that you exist.  In Mary’s case the expectation of her birthmother was more than she was willing to give.  So in this case open adoption turned out to be somewhat of an annoyance in the end for the child. 

On the other hand, I can’t agree with closed adoption 100% either.  If I were to put myself in the shoes of an adoptee, I would have a hard time knowing that I may never know where I came from whether I wanted to know or not.  That choice of knowing is automatically taken away from a child at birth with a closed adoption.  I can’t really say which one I agree with over the other because each person takes to the fact that they are adopted in different ways.  But I do think the child should be able to have some rights in the end.  All the rights are given to the birthparents and that doesn’t accomplish much in the end if the child wants to know their families past but aren’t allowed to do so.  The only suggestion that I can offer is trying to incorporate the best of both somehow.  Giving more rights and knowledge, but preserving the right of a birthparent if they so choose.  There is a reason that this class on adoption is incorporated into an ethics class, no matter what side you choice someone in the end will be unhappy.  But I think in this case more emphasis needs to be place on the child’s rights starting at birth.    

Lisa R 

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I definitely agree with you and felt the same both before and after hearing Mary and Linda speak. Going in, I also thought that an open adoption would be the best route. Today, it seems that most birthparents choose this option. I am sure however that in the 60s this was highly uncommon. A moment that stuck out to me on Wednesday as well was when Mary stated that an open adoption seems to be about the birthparents feeling better about their decision, rather than the best interests of the child. However, I did not get this sentiment when we heard from Steve a few weeks ago, so it must vary case by case, or perhaps his relationship is one that is out of the norm. I also found it interesting when Mary stated that she felt like she owed something to Kath, which I think would be a common feeling to have in that situation.
    I agree that there needs to be a compromise on both ends of the spectrum. This is why I think Linda’s ideas on adoption were important: once adulthood is reached, to have an open adoption, regardless of what the original stance was. I think that all adopted children should have the write to search out their birthparents, if they so choose, and unearth their medical records.
    Kelly Butorac

    ReplyDelete